Friday, November 8, 2013

How Often Should I Read the Word?

How often should I read the Word? As often as possible. David said, "Thy word has been my meat both day and night..."

Live on the Word. Live in the Word. Live by the Word. It's the only thing that will last. It's the only knowledge that really counts.

Education is important. I believe that, too. There are lots of things that are good to know! And when we use the stuff we know along with LOVE, we call the combination of knowledge and love wisdom. So, in my estimation, the more knowledge one has garnered, the more love they need to acquire to be able to use that knowledge.

Why?

Because, ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys: Knowledge without love is a bad thing. Most often it leads straight to pride (and I mean the bad, rotten, devilish kind of pride), arrogance, self-righteousness, power-tripping, oppression, and all the sins humans fall into.

Another thing the Bible says is: "With all thy getting, get understanding." And understanding, is like wisdom. It has to be knowledge with love because in order to "understand", you have to be willing to get under and humble yourself to listen.

And why is it so difficult for proud people to listen?

I think, when I don't want to listen, it's when I feel superior to the one who is trying to give me information. My pride gets in the way and I don't concentrate and pay attention to the details of what that person is saying. I "assume" that I already know what they're going to say or that I already know everything they already know and more. That's pride. Pure pride.

Identifying the problem often helps us to overcome it, doesn't it?

Pride is one of the biggest problems of Christians.

We're too proud to ask. We're too proud to listen. We're too proud to admit a mistake. And, we're WAY to proud to apologize. That would be admitting a mistake that caused harm or hurt to someone else and that's very difficult to admit.

I have found that the best way to overcome these kinds of pride is to look them straight in the eye and just DO it. Admit I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, I may have hurt your feelings, I screwed up and I AM SORRY.

It may seem like the hardest thing in the world to do, but it does get easier with practice. It can be very liberating. Just don't buy into all the condemnation the devil would like to pile on your plate after you realize you have made a mistake.

Get used to it! You're gonna make lots more mistakes before this game is over.

So, keep reading the Word. Learn what it says. Try to have "understanding" and "wisdom" when you're reading it and applying it to your life. And LOVE it.

You can fall in love with the Bible. You sure can. It's a Lover that will never leave you. The Words of God will never fail you, forsake you or disappoint! Fall in love with Jesus! Fall in love with the Word. They are One and the Same.

What a wonderful God we have! If you don't know that, you haven't read his Word!

Read it! Live it! Love it! Quote it! Memorize it! Put it to the test!

That's what this life is all about. That's what this all boils down to.

No comments:

Post a Comment